Plum, sweet potato and gorgonzola salad
2 large sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into wedges 1 garlic clove, finely chopped (save a little for the dressing below) 2 tbsp olive oil 1 fresh fennel bulb, finely sliced 1 tsp ground cumin ½ tsp chilli flakes ½ tsp ground ginger ½ tsp ground nutmeg ½ tsp smoked paprika Salt and freshly ground black pepper 120g baby spinach leaves 3-4 South African plums, halved, pitted and sliced 50g gorgonzola, coarsely crumbled 50g toasted pecan nuts
2 tbsp olive oil 1 tbsp red wine vinegar fennel slices salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cooking time 30 mins
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4.
- Combine the sweet potatoes, garlic, oil, fennel and spices in a bowl. Season to taste and tip into a roasting tin.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes until the sweet potato is soft and caramelised. Cool.
- Scrape up the spiced cooking oil from the roasting tin and add the 2 tbsp of olive oil and the red wine vinegar. Check the seasoning and add some finely sliced fennel.
- To serve, share the spinach leaves between 4 plates. Toss the roasted sweet potato with the dressing and place on top of the spinach. Arrange a few sliced plums on top and scatter with gorgonzola and pecans.
Recipe created by Reuben Riffel, head chef at Reuben’s Restaurant, Franschhoek, South Africa