Festive Peach, Plum & White Chocolate Trifle
- 8 peaches, ripe but firm, extra for serving
- 1 btl sparkling apple or grape juice
- 1 cup (250ml) castor sugar
White chocolate mousse
- 300ml double cream
- 8 cardamom pods, lightly bruised
- 600g white chocolate, finely chopped
Vanilla cake, or 2 store bought Madeira cakes
- 225g soft unsalted butter, extra for tins
- 225g castor sugar, plus 2 tsp 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 200 grams plain flour
- 25g cornflour
- 3 tsp baking powder Pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1-2 peaches, sliced
- 1-2 plums, sliced
- Gold glitter and whipped cream for serving
For the peaches
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Drop in the peaches and simmer for a couple of
minutes then drain and cool until you can handle them.
- Peel skins, cut in half and discard the stones and chop.
Heat liquid gently until the sugar dissolves and liquid has reduced by half. Set aside.
For the white chocolate ganache
- Place finely chopped white chocolate in a heat proof glass ball. Simmer cream and cardamom together until steaming.
- Pour over chocolate and set aside to melt, stir to form a chocolate sauce and set aside.
For the vanilla sponge
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease 2 x 20cm tins with a small amount of butter and line the bases with baking parchment.
- Cream butter and sugar add vanilla extract and beat that in.
- Mix flour, cornflour, baking powder and salt together.
- Beat one egg into creamed butter and sugar, followed by one tablespoon of the flour mixture and once both are absorbed, continue in this manner until all 4 eggs are used. Scrape down, gently, beat in the remaining flour.
- When everything is combined and smooth, start beating in the milk, 1 tbsp at a time (no more than 3) until your batter drops easily off the beaters, paddle or wooden spoon when lifted up out of the bowl.
- Divide batter evenly between the two prepared tins, and smooth the tops. Place side by side in the oven and bake for 20–25 minutes, or until golden tops and cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- Trace trifle dish over the sponge and cut out 2 sponge discs.
- Pour syrup on the base of the dish and top with a sponge disc, drizzle with extra syrup.
- Pour a layer of white chocolate ganache and place in fridge to set.
- Spoon poached peaches over the set white chocolate and top with a second layer of sponge.
- Drizzle extra syrup over the sponge, add a final layer of chocolate ganache. Serve topped with whipped cream, sliced peaches and plums and scatter with glitter.