Mini Pavlovas with Nectarine and Burnt Sugar Shards
- Makes 8 mini Pavlovas
- If you prefer you can make one large meringue nest instead.
Pinch of cream of tartar
1 cup (200g) castor sugar
½ Tbsp (7ml) vanilla essence
- 4-6 nectarines
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 1 – 2 Tbsp (15-30mlorange liqueur, optional
- 1 cup (250 ml) cream, whipped
- Burnt sugar shards
For meringue, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar to medium-stiff peaks.
Add sugar a tablespoon at a time every few minutes – sugar should dissolve completely before next addition.
Whisk until all sugar is added and meringue is smooth, thick and glossy.
Place large dollops of meringue mixture onto a lined baking tray taking care to allow enough space between each one.
Using the back of a teaspoon, create a well in the middle of each to create a nest.
Bake at 100°C for about 1 hour.
Cool completely in the oven before removing.
- Thinly slice nectarines and macerate in orange juice and liqueur for no longer than 30 minutes.
- Spoon cream into meringue nests and arrange nectarines on top. Decorate the sugar shards and mint leaves if you like.
Burnt Sugar Shards
- 2 Tbsp water
- ¾ cup sugar
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place water and sugar into a heavy based pot.
- Cook over a medium heat to dissolve sugar – don’t stir it as crystals will form.
- Once sugar starts to dissolve, increase heat and cook until dark brown.
- Pour caramel onto a baking sheet in a thin, even layer. If you like to can scatter a few chopped nuts or seeds onto the caramel.
- Cool and chop or break into shards.
- Store in an airtight container until needed.
- Don’t refrigerate it or will become tacky.