I make a few smaller jars to spread the love. These plums are wonderful spooned over great blobs of vanilla ice cream. They make wonderful gifts.
- Makes a 750 ml jar with leftovers to keep.
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 vanilla pod seeds scraped and paid reserved
- 1 cup sugar
- Rind of one orange.
- 1 kg large meaty plums stoned and quartered
- Place all the ingredients except the plums into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Once it has reached the boil add the plums and turn heat down to a simmer,
- Simmer for 8 minutes, turn off the heat and gently lift the plums out, simmer the sauce for another 8 minutes, take off the heat.
- Bottle the plums in clean sterilised jars, top with the syrup.
- Seal and store in a cool dark place.