Zucotto with Plum Compote
Zucotto is an rich Italian trifle which works beautifully with a plum sauce.
- Serves 6
- Preparation time: 40 min
- Standing time: 6 hours
- 500 ml (2 c) cream
- 90 ml (6 T) caster sugar
- 10 ml (2 t) vanilla essence
- 10 ml (2 t) instant coffee granules, dissolved in 15 ml (1 T) boiling water
- 50 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 50 g almond flakes, toasted
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 store-bought sponge cake, cut into triangles
- 100g sponge fingers
- 160ml (2/3c) amaretto liqueur or cherry liqueur
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 5 plums, cut into pieces
- 80ml (1/3c) sugar
- 250ml (1c) orange juice
- 5ml (1t) vanilla essence
- extra fresh plums, sliced
- blue berries or strawberries
- mint sprigs
- Beat the cream, caster sugar and vanilla essence until thick, split in three parts.
- Add coffee to the first part and chopped chocolate, almond flakes and the grated orange rind to the next lot.
- Melt the chocolate and add to the last part of cream.
- Line a large bowl with the sponge cake and sponge fingers and sprinkle with the liqueur.
- Spread some coffee cream over the cake layer, then add a layer of the almond flake cream mix and spoon the chocolate mixture on top.
- Arrange the rest of the sponge cake triangles and sponge fingers on top. Sprinkle with liqueur. Refrigerate for 6 hours.
Place fruit, sugar and orange juice in a saucepan and cook till just soft but still intact. Add the vanilla essence.
Turn out the Zucotto on to a serving platter. Spoon over some compote and arrange some fresh fruit on the side. Finish with mint sprigs.