Pork Fillet with Pecan Nut Crust & Red Wine Plum Sauce
Plums and pork are a match made in heaven.
- Serves 3
- Preparation time: 20 min
- Cooking time: 20—30 min
Red Wine Plum Sauce
- 3 plums, cut into pieces
- 160ml (2/3c) red wine
- 125ml (1/2c) chicken stock
- 80ml (1/3c) brown sugar
- 10ml (2t) green pepper corns
- 5 ml (1 t) balsamic vinegar
- 2,5ml (1/2t) soy sauce
- 1 large whole pork fillet
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- About 30ml (2T) wholegrain mustard
- 2 egg whites, slightly whisked
- 125ml (1/2c) finely chopped pecan nuts
- Place the plums, red wine, chicken stock and brown sugar in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer till the fruit is soft and the sauce has thickened. Stir in the pepper corns, vinegar and soy sauce. Keep aside to serve with the fillet.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Season the pork fillet with salt and pepper and rub wholegrain mustard all over the fillet.
- Brush the whole fillet with egg white and roll in the chopped pecan nuts.
- Place the fillet on the prepared baking sheet, splash over some oil and oven-roast for about 20 minutes until just done and till the crust is slightly browned. Rest for 10 minutes.
Serve the pork fillet with the plum sauce and some fresh plums on the side. Garnish with coriander leaves.