Rolled French Toast stuffed with Ricotta and Spicy Plums
• Serves 4
• 4 slices brown bread with crusts on
• 6 eggs
• 2 Tbsp cream
• 1 Tbsp icing sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 200 g fresh ricotta cheese
• Roasted plums (See below)
• 1/2 cup toasted almonds
• honey for drizzling
• Icing – sugar for dusting
1. Whip the eggs, icing sugar, vanilla extract and team together.
2. Soak two slices of bread at the same time in the egg mixture.
3. Spray a frying pan large enough to hold two slices of bread with non stick cooking spray and heat to medium high.
4. Gently lift the bread out the egg mixture and place into the pan. Fry on both sides till golden. Remove and keep warm.
5. Repeat with the remaining two slices of bread.
6. Place a spoonful of ricotta cheese and a spoonful of the plum mixture down the centre of each slice of French toast.
7. Roll up gently and serve on a warm plate.
8. Garnish the tops with toasted almonds, honey and a dusting of icing sugar.
Roasted Spicy Plums
• 10 plums stoned and roughly chopped
• 1/2 cup of sugar
• 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/8 tsp ground ginger
• 1 Tbsp orange zest
• 1/2 cup orange or apple juice
• 100 g melted butter
1. Place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix together well so that the plums get coated with the other ingredients.
2. Pile into a medium sized oven proof dish and roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until the plums are not and bubbling.
3.Remove from the oven and cool till needed.