Plummy Chocolate Cake
450 g very ripe plums, roughly chopped
170 g butter,
170 g 70% dark chocolate roughly chopped
5 large room temperature eggs
1½ cups caster sugar
¾ cup cake flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1½ cups whipped cream
cocoa powder for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180 Deg C
- Grease the sides and base of a 20 cm Springform baking tin and the line the base with baking paper.
- Place the plums in a blender and blend until very smooth.
- Remove 1½ cups and strain for the cake, freeze the balance to use in a smoothie.
- Place the butter and chocolate into a heatproof bowl and place the bowl over a pot of gently simmering water, make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
- Stir together until the chocolate has melted, stir in the strained plums and mix well to combine, set aside.
- Place the eggs and sugar into the bowl of a food processor and beat till light and fluffy.
- Fold a third of the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture to lighten the mixture, then fold the remaining egg mixture in into chocolate mixture.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the chocolate mixture and mix to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven a cool.
- Serve the cake for dessert with great dollops of whipped cream and a light dusting of Cocoa.
- Sprinkle with chopped pistachio nuts.